If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Monday, June 6, 2011

Fun and games Blogfest entry

Alex over at Alex J. Cavanaugh 
is hosting a Fun and games blogfest today. The rules are simple I have to list three of my favorite games (any kind) and why.

Before I get to that I'd like to say I will not be posting tomorrow since I am posting today for the blogfest.


Now on to the games!


 3) The third favorite game on my list is WAR- card game- and I enjoy this game because I can play it with my girls and give them some competition in a luck sort of way.


 2) The second favorite game on my list is RUMY- card game- My grandmother taught this game to me when I was 14 (She cheats though and says she can't remember the rules right- LOL)


and my number one favorite game
1) well it used to be World of Warcraft (rpg) until hey instilled a new version that really made the game difficult to play by myself, so in light of that I have found a new love for the board game of Scrabble. I enjoy this game because the family can sit down and teach each other new words.


****
 My first weekend of summer college went okay. We had to watch a video about "Honor killing" where women are shot, burned, whatever men or women family members can do to restore the honor of the family. Basically a woman can be honor killed in india if she has sexual relations or is suspected of having sexual contact in any way with another male- rape included- basically their whole system works off a woman being a virgin in order to marry- if they are no longer virgins- no matter the cause or age- then they are no longer worth anything and without being married bring shame upon their entire family.


 Crazy enough the punishment for killing a woman by "Honor kill" is punishable by only six months in jail. I do not have time to go into more details about my feelings on this subject at the moment- but I can tell you I was outraged!
 The worst part is that a majority of these women believe they deserve it and this is how things should be done.
I'm Very glad I do not live anywhere near this place.

30 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Yay for scrabble!!!

Glad your weekend of summer college is going fine. What a harrowing film to watch - these poor women! :-(

Take care
x

Hart Johnson said...

I enjoy War for the same reason--my son and I play. Pretty fun. And Rumy was one from my days with my grandma! (wonder if that is universal)

Your class sounds intense. I hope you feel like you get a lot out of it, even if it sounds draining. There are a great many places in the world that don't value women, which is too bad. There are also organizations trying to change it, so there is hope, but it will be slow.

PK HREZO said...

sickening. That mindset in that area of the world toward women is just painfully horrifying. We should remember these women in our prayers.

One whole side of my fam is into WOW. I refuse to get started because I know I'll get sucked into it. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've seen WoW on several lists! Thanks for particpating in the blogfest.
And India's legal system needs an overhaul.

Budd said...

War can go on forever. I used to be a rummy master back in the day.

Jules said...

You sure do seem to love card games, I do scrabble! As to the women... and here we call that abuse and yes, those women too feel they deserve it. We need to break these circles!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

N. R. Williams said...

I've known about honor killings for a long time. There is a case in Canada where a father killed his daughter because she refused to marry the man he selected and wanted to marry a Canadian she had fallen in love with. Terrible. He is in for life I believe.
Nancy

Jeff Beesler said...

Yikes. The things people will say or do in the name of honor. That's just wrong on so many levels.

On a brighter note, thanks for sharing those games!

Donea Lee said...

It blows me away that women in other parts of the world are STILL treated in such a way. So sad....

Rummy and war - some great games!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Came here from the Fun and Games Blogfest. I Am going to have to check out the rest of your blog! I like what I see so far.

Ciara said...

I love the game WAR and Rummy. I haven't heard of the third one. Great choices!

Anonymous said...

Scrabble is an absolute CLASSIC!

RaShelle Workman said...

War is a ton-o-fun.

Glad you enjoyed your first week. I'm so glad I wasn't born in such a place. Sad.

Golden Eagle said...

Scrabble is a lot of fun! :)

It's so sad to hear about the way women are treated in some areas of the world.

Colene Murphy said...

I love rumy! My grams taught me that too! Never played the others but they always looked fun! Good choices!

Unknown said...

As a kid I used to play Gin rummy with my grandmother and her friends...LOL, I haven't thought of that for years!

Precy Larkins said...

I'm with you on that film. It's an outrage! But other cultures have weird ways, and though their system is unjust and inhumane, they see it as normal, as part of their beliefs. Still, that's a poor excuse for humanity.

On the other hand, I like Scrabble too! =)
Nice to meet you during the blogfest.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I can play Rumy for hours, I used to play it all the time with Pop-Pop until he passed away. Whenever I play, I always think of him.

M Pax said...

Those are great card games. Maybe I'll have to look into this Warcraft game. Seems very popular.

Brenda Drake said...

I love Scrabble! I'm not part of this fun blog hop, wish I didn't have other obligations for my blog. Anyway, it's so sad about the Honor Killings. How can anyone kill their daughter for this? It makes me ill. Thanks for sharing! :D

Liz P said...

My mom and I used to play rummy all the time. I play with my husband sometimes - probably my favorite card game. War was a lot of fun too when I was younger - although those games can go on for a long time!

Unknown said...

World of Warcraft seems to be a popular one today! I love it! What a great blog fest and I should have known that you'd partake in them, I always love your twist on them!!! You're fabulous!!! It's been too long since I visited but I'm glad to be back up!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Fun games on you list Summer.

But like you, I am APPALLED at what is happening to woman overseas.

Nas said...

I've heard of ladies playing gin-rummy but I don't know how. My fav iss scrabble and monopoly.

The honor killing system sounds horrific.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

YES! Scrabble.

Honour killings. Hmm, in the stoning of women to death as done in Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, I'd like to say I would truly delight in shooting the stone throwers!!!! The other honour killings, the sneaky ones by knife, whatever are just as terrible: the males involved deserve to have their balls shot off.

best
F

Carolyn V said...

We play rummy on the weekends with a group of friends. It's so fun!

Anonymous said...

War is really a surprisingly fun game. Thanks for sharing!!

Imogen said...

That sounds barbaric, i am so glad i don't live within a country of that place!
On another note, WoW is pretty awesome, i think i might be addicted though :O

Have an awesome day
Imo :D

Tara Tyler said...

i love card games =) my grandparents taught me cribbage oh so long ago...ever heard of it?
happy belated gameblogfest!

Online Blackjack said...

I'm a very visual learner, and this was probably one of the first games I truly loved to play. I cannot describe the joy ( I just crushed you kind of joy) I get when landing on a triple letter score with a word like zenith or lexicon. I'm very competitive.

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own