If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Movie review: Dark Shadows

I went and saw the movie Dark Shadows on Mother's day. Depp didn't disappoint in the level of strange and unusual characters he enjoys taking the roll of and I truly think the vampire Barnabas matches Depp just as much.



What worked: The cast chosen to play the characters worked out well. The teenage daughter has to be one of my favorites. She rocked her part.
The movie also held several small twists I wasn't expecting and mixed humor with some serious horror by the end. I was actually expecting it to be funnier than it was based off the trailers I had seen.


What to watch out for: I took my girls to see this movie and I dare say there was a lot more sexual ideas in this movie than I had anticipated. Ideas my ten year old caught onto quickly. They don't show anything bad, it's there but not seen.


In general, it wasn't the best movie I have seen this year. I personally feel it was misrepresented in the trailers. It's a touch more twisted than expected. But I did like the effects they had towards the end of the movie. I wont spoil it for anyone though-



12 comments:

Dana said...

I've been wanting to see this movie. Thanks for the review!

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks for reviewing it! I do want to see this movie, but I think it's one I'll wait and see.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the movie too. I saw it yesterday.

I agree with you, from the trailers I saw I was expecting it to be laugh-a-minute.

My two favourite things were:

the premise itself - a vampire wakes up in 1972

the cracked-porcelain doll fx

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't get out to see it this past weekend and with so many new ones coming out (and the fact I HAVE to see Avengers again) I'll probably have to wait for NetFlix.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I have wanted to know the thoughts on that movie from someone whose opinion I valued. Thanks, Summer.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Rats! I was going to send you my BEST OF ENEMIES because it is basically about the dark goings-on in a Tuatha de Danann high school in the French Quarter right after Hurricane Katrina. I know how you like faes and Sidhe. And they're there at St. Marrok's in spades!

But I needed your email to send it. Rats. Well, my heart was in the right place!

Amanda Borenstadt said...

I'm excited about this movie. Thanks for the review and your commentary on the sexual ref. I'd wondered if it was kid friendly. I've got a pair of 11 yr old girls.

Christine Rains said...

Thanks for the review! I'm a big Depp fan, but I'm also a fan of the old Dark Shadows. It wasn't a comedy. I'm just going to wait until it comes out on DVD this time.

Old Kitty said...

I love anything Johnny Depp does so I'll be definitely seeing this! Yay!!! Thanks for the review - am so envious you've seen it! LOL! Take care
x

M Pax said...

Thanks for the review, Summer. I do want to see this movie. Love Mr. Depp & Dark Shadows.

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the movie review!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Because it's Johnny I really want to see this movie :)

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own