If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fart dividing-

I know it sounds crude doesn't it? But I am realizing Chaucer was not only a master in his time for his use of the English language, but his stories in the Canterbury Tales had outrageous things happening like friars trying to figure out how to divide a fart in the "Summoners Tale". Ultimately, they decided the fart had two parts to divide equally among 12 friars- one part is the smell and the second part is the sound. Talk about a different way of looking at things.


 This of course made me think of writing- naturally he was experimenting, but also he wanted his readers attention. I think He managed that- 

What have you done recently or read recently that has captured attention in a similar way? If nothing- what do you think about Chaucer's choice to use a fart this way.

5 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

Talk about trying to pin down and establish the impossible. :D That's a writer for you!

Carolyn V said...

Hee hee. Interesting. The last thing that caught my attention was a book with outstanding metaphors! It was great.

Old Kitty said...

Oh he was a bawdy one wasn't he really! LOL!!!

Slightly off topic - but I do recall an overheard conversation between two young girls while I was shopping:

Girl one: so why are you giving up the course?
Girl two: cos I can't understand this Chaucer. I thought we were gonna study books written in english.
:-)

Take care
x

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Chaucer was all about speaking his mind, sarcasm, insults, and doing it under the guise of poety/prose. He was a master of disguise and he got away with it.

Jules said...

I'd have to say you just caught my attention :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own