If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rock and Roll Facts from Class

I have one weekend left in my History of Rock and Roll class and I wanted to give you all a quick run down of a few key things.


 Rock and Roll developed in 1955.


 What are its influences?


 There are two separate ways we came to Rock and Roll


 1) Blues + Gospel + R & B + Country = Rock and Roll


 This way was associated with Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Little Richard, and others.


2) Country + Blues = Rock and Roll


 This way is associated with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holy, and others.


 What do you notice about this?


 Interesting facts: 

Most of the early (1920's-1950's) US music comes from down in the south- Louisiana


 A lot of the 60 and 70's Rock and Roll came over from Europe because they were infatuated with our original Rock and roll from Buddy Holy who had moved to Europe to sing instead of staying in the states.
Another part of our Rock and Roll came from Surf Music like Dick Dale, Duane Edding, and the beech boys.


We got the term "Rock and Roll" from popular song lyrics where singers would use words like rock and then roll ex: "Shake, Rattle, and Roll"


There are several different types of rock:

Folk Rock  (Bob Dylan created this style)



Country Rock (Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, ect...)


Southern Rock (Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels Band, ect..)


Jazz Rock (Miles Davis, Carlos Santana, ect..)


psychedelic Rock (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, ect..)


 Brittain hard Rock (AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, ect...)


American heavy metal (Iron Butterfly, Aerosmith, Van Helen, ect...)


Speed metal/ thrash (Metallica, megadeath, ect)


Death metal (Slayer, ect...)

(Please note these are all in a book called Rock Music Styles a history 6th edition By Katherine Charlton)

  On a last side note: I really heart my followers and commentors. Jules @Trying to get over the rainbow Gave out a cute and swwt little button award.
This is free and clear- I'm passing it on to my followers because I want to show you I notice you!
This award is just for you, help Jules pass it on, showing her the hearts as well she is  such a fantastic and friendly blogger buddy.
Here it is, take it and pass it around.

22 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

Do you get to listen to different samples? Seems like a great class. Thanks for the button!

Summer Ross said...

Yeah we have listening exercises we have been tested on, we have to name the band, the date of the song, and one interesting musical fact about the music.

L.A. Colvin said...

That sounds like an awesome class. I love me some Blues. But then again I'm from the south sooo.

Katie said...

You're taking a CLASS about this?! How awesome! I'm super jealous.

Bast said...

My university had a history of rock and roll class, but I never took it. Maybe it could have been interesting.

Budd said...

Thanks for the Rockin' lesson!

B.E.T. said...

Metallica is Speed Metal?? Well, I guess I'm a Britain Hard Rock, American Heavy Metal, and Speed Metal gal.

Thank you for the education! :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know there's so many variations on rock music, but I'd still give progressive rock its own category.

Unknown said...

I'd be remiss if I didn't add to this excellent post that the blues came about as a jazz derivative. When it comes to U.S. music, it always comes back to Jazz.

Great stuff!

Unknown said...

Just another way of saying Blues is at the root of all good things.

Margo Benson said...

What an awesome class! I love my hard rock, heavy metal and folk! You must be having a blast.

The heart is lovely, I'm going to pop it on my blog.

Carolyn V said...

You only have one more week? That went so fast! Such interesting info Summer! Thanks. =D

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

That IS an adorable award! I'll have to copy and share. :) Found my way here from PK's blog. I'm excited, as I may be writing about fairies in the future! :)

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the post! It sounds like an interesting class!

Unknown said...

Wow, I think this is the most comprehensive discussion I've ever read on rock and roll. Cool!

M Pax said...

Sounds like a fun class.

Summer Ross said...

Alex- We are starting progressive rock this weekend :)

Old Kitty said...

Oh I just love this course!! I want to go on one now!! How wonderful!!! I love how Rock and Roll continues to evolve and what a history too!! yay! Take care
x

Jules said...

Thanks for passing my heart along, now this class?! I have to say I disagree on the 2 ways of getting to rock. But I'm not taking the class so I won't argue :) But actually Janis falls in the blues category and in the sixties there where no categories. God I want to take this class :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jemi Fraser said...

Very cool course! The history of music is fascinating - seeing the interconnectedness of the genres is very neat!

DL Hammons said...

Rock & Roll came into existence the year before I was born. I wonder if there's a correlation there? :)

Lauri said...

Sounds like a fun class! Few people realize rock has it roots in blues and country.

Lauri (a fellow crusader)

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own