If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review- Adverbs & Cliches in a Nutshell




Cliché: “You may argue that they are ‘relatable’ so why not use them? But the way in which one experiences things isn’t always the same. As writers, it’s your duty to make readers experience your story from a unique point of view. Your point of view,” pg 8-9 Adverbs & Clichés in a Nutshell




Today I’m doing a review for Jessica Bell’s new release Adverbs & Clichés in a Nutshell.


Blurb:

Have you been told you use too many adverbs and clichés in your writing? Want to remedy it? Then this is the book for you!

In Adverbs & Clichés in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Subversions of Adverbs & Clichés into Gourmet Imagery, you will find thirty-four examples of prose which clearly demonstrate how to turn those pesky adverbs and clichés into vivid and unique imagery. Extra writing prompts are also provided at the end of the book.

Not only is this pocket guide an excellent learning tool for aspiring writers, but it is a user-friendly and simple solution to honing your craft no matter how broad your writing experience. With the convenient hyper-linked Contents Page and Indexes you can toggle backward and forward from different examples with ease. Use your e-reader's highlighting and note-taking tools to keep notes as you read, and/or record your story ideas, anywhere, anytime.



Click one of the following links to purchase:

 

My review:

The first thing I noticed about Bell’s book was how easy and fast it is to read. I had expected long essays explaining things. However, Bell gave the reader something more. While she did write a beginning essay for the book the entire rest is all made up of exercises to teach her readers how to create a unique example for their writing with adverbs and clichés as a starting point.


This book would be a terrific resource for beginning writers in teaching differences and showing how to use adverbs and clichés creatively. Yet, it would also be helpful to seasoned writers, in taking them out of either their normal routines or just brushing up on some skills.


Bell’s examples range anywhere from one adverb and a one-sentence cliché, to paragraphs as rewriting exercises. I found some of them to be more difficult than others to try and make a unique example of, but the more I began writing them out, the easier it was for me to proceed to the next one.


In general, I think Adverbs & Clichés in a Nutshell would be a valuable resource for any writer. The exercises alone make this book worth buying, and there are so many of them that the only way a writer wouldn’t find it useful is to not do the examples. I give it three stars as a useful writing tool.

 



Bio:

The Australian-native contemporary fiction author and poet, Jessica Bell, also makes a living as an editor and writer for global ELT publishers (English Language Teaching), such as Pearson Education, HarperCollins, Macmillan Education, Education First and Cengage Learning.



She is the co-publishing editor of Vine Leaves Literary Journal, and the director of the Homeric Writers’ Retreat & Workshop on the Greek island of Ithaca.



For more information about Jessica please visit:


13 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

I've read some of Jessica's books and I like that she has writing exercises. Most helpful. I'll definitely check this one out.

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks for the review! This one is on my to-read list.

Gina Gao said...

I'll check this one out too. It sounds really interesting.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Summer.

Thanks for the review. I have seen Jess' book around the blogophere for the past few weeks. It is good to have tools that work and are easy.

I definitely need to pick this up...


Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The first one in the series was simple and easy to understand because she used examples. Good to know this one is just as user-friendly.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I've heard great things about this book. It's probably one I'll get when I have time to read it.

Jessica Bell said...

Thanks for the great review, Summer!

Susan Oloier said...

Nice review, Summer. I've only read Jessica's fiction. Maybe I should buy this one and have a go at some of the exercises.

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for the review!! And yay for the super talented Jessica! take care
x

Suzanne Furness said...

I read this at the weekend and found some helpful advice I have already used. Will be a useful resource.

M Pax said...

I'll have to add it to my library :)

Golden Eagle said...

Great review!

I've been seeing this book all over the place. It sounds like a handy resource.

Anonymous said...

I saw Jessica's book on Writer's Digest. It looks very helpful.

BTW, Hi Summer!!

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own