If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Monday, May 9, 2011

Crucial Elements

I realized something the other day about stories. It doesn't matter if you are writing a flash fiction piece, a memoir, a short story, or chapters inside a novel- it goes better if it has a beginning a middle and an end. 

Now I know your thinking well duh- but really when I write chapters I had not thought of each chapter having a beginning, middle and an end- instead I worked on getting to the next chapter. But now that I have been very active with short pieces and flash, I can see how to make each chapter have the crucial elements of a short story or flash fiction piece. I feel like I uncovered a secret even though many before me already knew it.

Today is Final day of the semester- I'm a bit nervous of the test today at 4pm. After that I have a 7 page paper to write and by tomorrow I will be on break. YAY!


 Have a fairy wonderful day!


15 comments:

Bethany Elizabeth said...

That's good advice - it's hard to think about scenes having a definite beginning, middle, and end, isn't it? :) Good post!

Old Kitty said...

Good luck with your test!!!! I have everything crossed for you!!

Great advice too, thank you! Take care
x

Laura said...

I've definitely been more aware of this since writing more flash. Hope the test went well!
Lx

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You can do it, Summer! Pass with flying colors.

Jules said...

I sure hope you are writing that paper right now with a big "Oh yes I aced it" smile on your face. :)

And yes, DUH! That just makes to much sense and (Snicker, snicker)you know I didn't know that. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Trisha said...

Yeah, I recently saw someone mention that chapters have beginnings, middles and ends...and it had never occurred to me before. :P

Sonia said...

I've heard that advice before about chapters before but it's hard to put in practice. Thought that may be because I don't write in chapters anyway. It's easier for scenes.

dolorah said...

Good luck with the test and the paper. I'm sure you're well on top of things.

......dhole

Jessica Silva said...

Great tidbit! Even thinking about it, it's so simple, yet I'm not sure I can identify the middle of the story I'm currently working on. UH OH! I better double check, huh haha

Nas said...

Good luck with the test. ANd you have some nice advice too! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Building cycles in chapters, the endings and links - all are essential in writing. :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the test and enjoy the break!

Theresa Milstein said...

Good luck on your test. YaY for break!

I used to think I had to keep my chapters the same length. I had no clue.

Carolyn V said...

I hope you did well on your test!

And I'm still learning that beginning/middle/end thing. Its so much fun. =)

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I'm just a smidge late on wishing you luck

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own