If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Monday, April 4, 2011

A-z Challenge: Conversation


Conversation is so important in the real world just as in fiction of any kind. So I decided to try my hand at a 100 word flash fiction story incorporating conversation only- well at least to the ending line. It was hard because I had to choose very specifically how to get the story across to the reader in not only a short word count but also using only a conversation between character.

*I'm sorry to those looking for more of the short story- "Bucket" I had not planned for more on it, and my posts were planned in advance.*

Cali's Note

“I fell from a tree.”
“What in the world were you doing in a tree Cali?”
“Sarah, I’ve been waking up falling from things.”
“So what happened?”
“I woke up falling and landed in the yard. When I got up this note was under me.”
“Oh my gosh! Do you think it’s him?”
“I know it’s him! I can’t read it, you do it. Please Sarah.”
“Alright…Cali it won’t be long now my sweet by the end of this note- your mine.”
“He’s…Oh God…he’s coming for me!”
“Its signed Darian, King of Elves.”
Sarah disappeared and the note floated down.

18 comments:

Jules said...

Wow, what a dialog! And honestly what popped in my mind when I read your title was, "Hey, lets talk." :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow!! Nice ending!!! I hope it's what Cali wants though? I hope!! Otherwise bad Darian!!! Take care
x

Angela said...

How scary!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Nice piece of flash fiction/dialogue. It's amazing how well you told this story in just a hundred words.

Great job, Summer.

Catherine Denton said...

Wait-what?! Did Sarah get taken instead of Cali?(sorry I'm slow)

Loved this, by the way. You had be hooked from the get-go and with dialog only!
My Blog

Cindy said...

Love! ... did I catch that right though, the one who read the note disappeared? Like the note took the reader of it?

Summer Ross said...

Yup the reader of the note was taken.

Budd said...

conversation is tough. not just making it seem realistic or too long winded but also the layout.

PK HREZO said...

Oh that is challenging! Writing in covversation only. But you pulled it off nicely and what a great way to practice dialog! :)

Have a faerie nice C day!

M.J. Fifield said...

I had my students write a dialogue only scene as a creative writing exercise. It was a lot of fun.

I've always wanted to try and write a novel that was nothing but dialogue. Never have attempted it though.


M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Nicki Elson said...

That was fun! An all dialogue flash---quite the challenge, but you met it wonderfully. :)

Golden Eagle said...

I love that it's all dialogue! Great story.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Ooo. Suspenseful!

Laura said...

Ohhh - I liked that. Great bit of writing!
Lx

Jo Schaffer said...

Yikes! Hope she's ok! =)

Great,concise way to tell a quick story.

Sharon Reece said...

Very creative, Summer, and well done. Thanks for your visit to my blog and your comment today.

Kimberly said...

That is great, for such few words and only dialog. Nice twist ending.

Unknown said...

I love the suspense Summer! This was fabulous!!!

Great C word, I don't think I ran across anyone who did Conversation... you're too awesome for words :)

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own