If I had to describe myself, it would be in a word that has many meanings with a complexity which falls off the tongue.
A word made up of many elements, is deceptive in appearance, and creates an illusion from the imagination.
My word would be Phantasmagoric. ~Summer Ross

Friday, April 22, 2011

A-Z: "S"

What does Mary Tighe and the letter "S" have in common? Why poetry of course! Here I give you one stanza from Tighe's "Psyche" which is ultimately a love poem based on the Greek gods. Here is what I want you to do- Read it out loud- there is no other way to experience this stanza fully...


"A placid smile plays o'er each roseate lip,
Sweet severed lips! while thus your pearls disclose,
That slumbering thus unconscious she may sip
The cruel presage of her future woes?
Lightly, as fall the dews upon the rose,
Upon the coral gates of that sweet cell
The fatal drops he pours; nor yet he knows,
Nor, though a God, can he presaging tell
How he himself shall mourn the ills of that sad spell! "

 Source for stanza (read whole poem here)

Did you notice the flowing "sssss"? Its meant to be very sensual for the reader not only to imagine but to hear.


11 comments:

Michael Di Gesu said...

You are S-s-s-ssssso right S-S-Summmer.

Old Kitty said...

Ooooh - yes, I do see/hear the sssssss!!!! Sexy and sensual!! Thank you for sharing this poem here!! Happy Easter! Take care
x

Jules said...

I did notice the "S's" but it is a little too early for sensual. Besides my whip is in the shop :)

My friend thanks again for all your caring quotes. My rays of sunshine for the past week.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Laura S. said...

I noticed the S-es immediately. It sounded so lovely!

Carol Kilgore said...

Simply Scrumptious.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a better ear/talent for poetry. I totally missed the flowing ssss even though I read it out loud. Bah. This is why I write fiction. Hehe.

Ellie Garratt said...

I agree - it should only be read aloud! Stunning.

Ellie Garratt

Stina said...

With with E. Ellen. I was stumbling over the words. Now I know why I suck at poetry. :(

(You should hear me read Shakespear. *shudders* or maybe not.) ;)

shelly said...

:) NICCCCCCE

Trisha said...

I didn't really notice that until you mentioned it. I guess it's something I took for granted or whatever :D This was interesting! :)

Trisha said...

I didn't really notice that until you mentioned it. I guess it's something I took for granted or whatever :D This was interesting! :)

I heart comments~~ You all Rock my world!

Make your own